View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 222777 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I understand what houstonspartan is saying, 5 years & you should expect your team to be a Super Bowl contender. Just because the worse organizations in the league can't do it doesn't make it an unreasonable expectation. If the Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, & Steelers are averaging less than 7 years per Super Bowl appearance... that should be the goal.
I seem to recall a quote in one of TC's blogs where she said Kubiak stated there has never been a season since he's been head coach that winning the Super Bowl wasn't his goal going into the season.

Quote:
I don't agree it's time to blow things up if we don't get it (it may not have been his intention, but that's what I inferred). We've been thinking we should have been in the Super Bowl since 2011, we've been "expecting" a Super Bowl since Gary's 6th season. He rebuilt this failed expansion in 5 years.
I'm in complete agreement. I'm still scarred by the memory of Bud blowing up a 12-4 Oilers team (1993) because they failed to get to the Super Bowl. Took the better part of a decade (1999) to recover from that. I trust that Uncle Bob isn't that stupid. And from recent events, McNair is the kind of owner that makes careful, calculated moves. Our defense sucked, he went and got Wade. We got torched by Brady (even with Wade and Watt in place) he went and got Ed Reed. It remains to be seen if that will pay off as much as the Wade move did.

Quote:
Now, Gary has a Super Bowl contender, there's a window 3 maybe 5 years. This is year 3.... shouldn't we "expect" at least an appearance in the big game? I said I don't agree with it, but if Kubiak can't do it in 3 years with the team he built, would it make sense to bring someone in while the window is still open?
First I don't believe the "window" has to be limited to a certain time frame. Dungy/Manning kept the Colts a contender for a decade. The Ravens have been perennial contenders since 2000. The Pats have been in the playoff picture nearly every year since 2001 (with the odd 7-9 season) The Steelers have too.
With solid offensive and defensive systems in place and a GM and scouting staff that replaces aging talent with young talent that excel in those systems, your team can stay playoff relevant for a long time. The examples are out there. It can be done.

BUT... if it becomes painfully apparent that Schaub - or GK - has "max'ed out" then Uncle Bob WILL cut them loose. But not until Uncle Bob has identified the guy(s) he perceives to be significant upgrade(s). Uncle Bob's first move will be to whisper in Gary's ear that "the Schaub era has run it's course, go find me a stud or I'll bring in a coach who will." Remember, careful, calculated moves; that's Uncle Bob's M.O.

Quote:
Think about the Bucs, the Colts, & maybe the Saints (if we stretch it).
Not sure what your point is here.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote