View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013   #283
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
(on how he’s doing right now) “I’m doing well. It’s progressing. Last time I talked to you guys, it was progressing and it was good. It’s much better now. I’ve still got some scar tissue that needs to be broken up and that’s probably the thing that makes my hip guard. Mentally, I guard it a little bit, but it feels good.”

(on receiving injections and what his process has been since receiving them)
“Those injections, it takes like two weeks to kick in. Two weeks would be Monday, on Monday night. I still kind of feel the injections, the needles. The needles put me to sleep. The needles are this long (gestures to hands) and I had four of them all in the same spot. That’s different than having one shot, like I had last time. It’s a little different feeling for me. It caused a little bit more scar tissue, a little bit more trauma. It kind of slowed me down a little bit as far as the workouts. Once you get the blood flowing a little bit and everything, I’m starting to feel a lot of better. You can see that I kind of stepped back you could say.”

(on what the injections were supposed to do) “The injections basically, in layman’s terms, kind of help speed up the healing process. Take the bad blood out, spin it if I’m not mistaken and put the good blood back in.”

(on if the injections were kind of like taking a half-step back in order to take a couple of steps forward) “Yeah, pretty much. Just kind of speed the process up a little bit. It does cause trauma. It does sit you down for a few days. Most guys in this locker room know, for a few days if you sit down, it takes a little bit of toll on you. It kind of gets you out of your rhythm and it did, but it’s bouncing back well, icing and moving around. I’m still just getting acclimated to the schedule and everything.”
link

Besides an initial steroid injection, the most recent set of injections were evidently plasma-rich platelets. There have been hundreds of studies looking at this mode of therapy.........and, despite anecdotal testimony, the data as to prove efficacy has remained very questionable.

The first week after the injections, there should be little activity other than walking. Pain from the injections usually lasts only a few days. Typical progression of activity then goes to gentle stretching and range of motion exercises usually begun weeks 1-2 with gentle strengthening in weeks 3-6. If all goes well, eccentric strengthening at 6 weeks with sport specific training and return to play thereafter.

There is no real "positive change" that is even expected at 2 weeks post injections, and in order to gain any purported safe benefits from this therapy, the steps of post injection rehab must still not be rushed.

BTW, from Reed's explanation of they "take the bad blood out, spin it if I’m not mistaken and put the good blood back in”, he seems to have no real concept (even in lay terms) how the injections are supposed to work.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote