View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans Game Week: MNF @San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I was crying about this in this very thread a few days ago, but nobody thought it was an issue.

Well... it is an issue, a big issue.

Shiloh Keo probably wouldn't make 20 NFL rosters and yet he's our starting Free Safety. I expect Gates to have a huge game because I'm pretty sure it's the FS's responsibility to cover the TEs that leak out.

I respect Wade because he obviously knows what's up, but is Keo really better than Swearinger? If he is, you gotta step your game up Swearinger!

I hate Shiloh Keo. With that said, nobody wants to hear my crying. Let's go Texans! Hopefully we put up so many points this is a moot point.
The thing to understand here is that unlike the pre Wade defenses, the roles of the safeties aren't as interchangeable as they used to be. Though we may show a lot of two deep looks, we rarely run two deep safeties (ala the Tampa 2).

Danieal Manning will play primarily man coverage on the TEs, Keo's job will be to roam deep & be that final line of defense... he's probably going to play that role better than Ed Reed as the old man doesn't have the range he used to have & he's not the tackler he used to be.

Swearinger is going to come in on Nickel & Dime packages, I think he's going to play that "smallish" LB that Quin used to play, leaving Manning to cover the TEs or play deep with Shilo.

Reed's value is his knack for making plays on the ball, for being in the right place at the right time. When QBs make mistakes & overthrow a ball, or lead a receiver a bit too much on the inside, they'll have to worry about Ed Reed fielding those balls..... they'll have to be that much better, that much more cautious. Maybe we'll get a few more turnovers than last year, maybe our OLBs will get that extra fraction of a second they need.

But to summarize, it has nothing to do with Keo playing better tha Dj. It's about wanting Dj to learn 1 position, & not 2. We expect Reed to eventually replace Keo.

Besides, can't be worse than Demps & whoever that other bump on a log was that came in on Dime packages. At least when Keo played, he didn't give up those big plays.