View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013   #18
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Yup. Wade Smith will be a cap casualty unless he takes a pay cut. Quess and Ben Jones will battle it out fiercely for the open LG spot. Jones is still eye'd as the successor to Meyers as well. At right tackle, we'll have zero doubt about what kind of talent Newton is by season's end. Williams will still be an unknown commodity. If Newton doesn't solidify the spot, look for a mid round pick and a journey man swing tackle type to also compete.

I see a rick smith trend on addressing "non priority positions." What's considered "non priority" is surely up for debate and offseason talent also plays into the equation (draft bpa, eager free agents...) To me the trend is attacking that non-priority position 3 ways: incumbent vs. rookie vs. Veteran journey man free agent.

I also see a rick smith trend of attacking positions 2 years in advance of contract expiration through the draft... As long as we have depth we have that luxury with mid and late round picks.

At rb we have a solid example of that. No they weren't drafted, but karim, cierre wood, d Johnson and the guy on the practice squad (forget his name) show a focus on a 2 year timetable. Tate will be gone and Foster will have boatloads of mileage. Foster will hit a wall sooner then later by percentages so find the next guy now and start grooming. It's not a bad formula.

*After reading what CND has written about B. Williams microfracture surgery, I have serious doubts that B. Williams will ever play a down for the Texans. Quite possibly another 3rd round wasted pick. This might move the drafting of a RT prospect next year a little higher, possibly to the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe we even give Quessenberry a try at RT.

*This is the whole reason we need to spend a high pick on CB next year. The CB position is one that is difficult to transition from college to the NFL and takes at least 1 yr. but more likely 2yrs. to make the adjustment and be good at an NFL level.

I like the way Smith addresses needs with an incumbent, rookie, and cheap FA. Competition is a good thing. Also thanks for reminding me that Tate will be gone at the end of the year, in my previous posts I forgot about him and his leaving should save us a little money as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote