View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I see next years O-line lineup being:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - BPA
Yup. Wade Smith will be a cap casualty unless he takes a pay cut. Quess and Ben Jones will battle it out fiercely for the open LG spot. Jones is still eye'd as the successor to Meyers as well. At right tackle, we'll have zero doubt about what kind of talent Newton is by season's end. Williams will still be an unknown commodity. If Newton doesn't solidify the spot, look for a mid round pick and a journey man swing tackle type to also compete.

I see a rick smith trend on addressing "non priority positions." What's considered "non priority" is surely up for debate and offseason talent also plays into the equation (draft bpa, eager free agents...) To me the trend is attacking that non-priority position 3 ways: incumbent vs. rookie vs. Veteran journey man free agent.

I also see a rick smith trend of attacking positions 2 years in advance of contract expiration through the draft... As long as we have depth we have that luxury with mid and late round picks.

At rb we have a solid example of that. No they weren't drafted, but karim, cierre wood, d Johnson and the guy on the practice squad (forget his name) show a focus on a 2 year timetable. Tate will be gone and Foster will have boatloads of mileage. Foster will hit a wall sooner then later by percentages so find the next guy now and start grooming. It's not a bad formula.