Originally Posted by Wolf6151
I was thinking about this at work last night, here's my line of thinking:
1. Move Reed to ILB like we wanted to do this year. Reed's an instant upgrade at ILB next to Cushing and solidifies the middle. Then we only need some mid-late round depth in the draft.
2. Re-sign Antonio Smith to a 2 yr. extension but lower his base salary. Based on this past offseason the market for older vet. FA isn't all that great. Teams aren't lining up to throw big money at older vets. so we can probably get him back at a discount. This also lessens the need for a DT/DE high in the draft.
3. Tuggle gives us depth at ILB and Jefferson gives us depth at OLB, and with their continued development we won't need Montgomery and T. Williams who are both a disappointment.
4. We lose Wade Smith to FA and add Quessenberry at LG. Cheaper and better.
5. We cut OD and save some money, Graham is the starter, and I was impressed with Ryan Griffen in preseason.
1. OLB, a stud here instantly gives us a starter and vastly improves our depth at the position with Jeffersons development.
2. CB, 2014 seems like a good year for CB. Some quality talent here allows for development for the future while also giving us quality depth at a position that's very hard to get depth at. Along with Bouye's development we could be the envy of the NFL.
3. Safety, we need someone to push Keo off the team and Ed Reed is probably a 1 and done player.
4. OT, someone to give serious competition at RT but can also play OG and add overall depth to the O-line. With B. Williams, a rookie, and Newton hopefully we find our future RT.
5. TE, depth and competition behind Graham and Griffen.
6. ILB, depth only since we'll have starters and Tuggle.
7. Safety, someone to add depth and play special teams.
Good post and I generally like all of it. Couple of additional thoughts...
Any projection is subject to change. For all we know ,Wade Phillips is gone and we're switching back to a 4-3 defense.
I'm still on the lookout for a young qb if the right one is available. With all the back up qb hoopla it's a topic that's gone to sleep. We'll see.
Cb is concerning to me right now. A year from now with reed and jjo gone our secondary looks scary. Mccain has not impressed me. I want a cb with actual starter potential. And your dead on, give me enough safety depth that keo isnt here.
Imo, the difference between a great defense and a better then average defense (which I think we have now) is an OUTSIDE rush. How backwards is it that right now we have the inside pass rush other teams struggle to get, but not the outside rush? If we cant find it durring the season expect continued high picks at olb.
I've come to believe out of the defensive starters the 2nd ilb is the least coveted. Like our offense values full backs, the defense values the backer inside next to cush. It's a throw away, journey man position as long as the team has other needs. I expect a mid to late round pick here along with another vet. Job description equals stack the point of attack in the run game...everything else is icing.
Nose tackle behind Mitchell looks very iffy (yea, I saw mcclain to but i've also watched him previous seasons...)
Texans nailed the Ryan Griffin pick and OD will be gone.
We have so much young o-line talent it's hard to imagine someone wont emerge as a quality starter. I dont expect a high pick here...