Re: Texans draft 2014
I was thinking about this at work last night, here's my line of thinking:
1. Move Reed to ILB like we wanted to do this year. Reed's an instant upgrade at ILB next to Cushing and solidifies the middle. Then we only need some mid-late round depth in the draft.
2. Re-sign Antonio Smith to a 2 yr. extension but lower his base salary. Based on this past offseason the market for older vet. FA isn't all that great. Teams aren't lining up to throw big money at older vets. so we can probably get him back at a discount. This also lessens the need for a DT/DE high in the draft.
3. Tuggle gives us depth at ILB and Jefferson gives us depth at OLB, and with their continued development we won't need Montgomery and T. Williams who are both a disappointment.
4. We lose Wade Smith to FA and add Quessenberry at LG. Cheaper and better.
5. We cut OD and save some money, Graham is the starter, and I was impressed with Ryan Griffen in preseason.
1. OLB, a stud here instantly gives us a starter and vastly improves our depth at the position with Jeffersons development.
2. CB, 2014 seems like a good year for CB. Some quality talent here allows for development for the future while also giving us quality depth at a position that's very hard to get depth at. Along with Bouye's development we could be the envy of the NFL.
3. Safety, we need someone to push Keo off the team and Ed Reed is probably a 1 and done player.
4. OT, someone to give serious competition at RT but can also play OG and add overall depth to the O-line. With B. Williams, a rookie, and Newton hopefully we find our future RT.
5. TE, depth and competition behind Graham and Griffen.
6. ILB, depth only since we'll have starters and Tuggle.
7. Safety, someone to add depth and play special teams.