View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013   #332
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lets make fun of them cowboys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCowboy View Post
of course people still care bout Dallas, if not these types of threads wouldn't
exist
Not really. I see this instance as a chicken and egg-type thing. Did the Cowboy-bashing begin with this thread? No. Would we be talking about the Cowboys this, the beginning of the season? VERY little, if any, except for the preseason game that meant nothing.

What I mean is this. Anybody could start a thread beginning with "Let's make fun of [fill in the blank]" and with just about any team it will act as a starting gun to make fun.

Do many of us dislike the Cowboys? Sure. Many of us grew up in Houston where the Oilers called home and some turncoat-bandwagon-soulless-enormously obnoxious football fans decided to call the Cowboys their team, forsaking their own city and it's community. We endured them as long as they were respectful but most often they asked for what eventually came their way. Yep, in elementary school I got in a fight or two with Houstonian Cowboys, they begged for it. So, I never liked the team in general. Moreover, I've never found them to be likable with the exception of the Meredith days.

As others have pointed out the Cowboys of today are just sort of ....there. I see non-Dallasite Cowboy fans a lot here in Austin, but we get along fine even though they are year-in, year-out champs of worst fans in the NFL. It's the fans in Dallas I don't mind and can talk football with in an enjoyable fashion.

Today I hate the Titans, still hate the Steelers and all teams from the old AFC Central, with the possible exception of the Browns who were never there. I have major sports-hate for most AFC teams for one reason or another. The Cowboys?? Not anymore in comparison to years past.

The Cowboys are a once every four year opponent whose problems are mainly due to the one guy that will not be fired, the owner. Yes, I love the comedy that comes out of Dallas both on and off the field these days.

So somebody started a thread saying let's "make fun of them Cowboys." "Cowboys" could have been replaced with any number of other teams. The "Charger look alike" thread should be up by now. Where is it?? ...lol.

My short post gone long is, don't flatter yourself in thinking the Cowboys are something special. As we all know, that was then, this is now.