View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013   #271
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not getting into the cat fight,

But I do believe Alex Gibbs was brought in to fix the OL and he was promised the 1st rd pick that yr. Just like with Wade and the defense. I've got no proof of that. Just call this an educated guess.

Rick was smart enough to listen to a HOF OL coach and pick D.Brown.
I don't think Rick doesn't listen to the coaches but I don't think anyone is given Carte Blanche to pick who they want.

Rick gives his list of guys to the coaches and the coaches take a look at guys he's identified and then based on that list, they work out who's going to be drafted.

Alex Gibbs was given a list of guys and told, "Tell me who you want. Tell me which guys fit into your system. We're going to make fixing the line a priority so which guys will do that." Don't forget, Rick traded back and still got his guy. So there was every chance he would have missed on him but he didn't.

Same with Wade and the same with Frank Bush and Richard Smith before him.

But if there hadn't been anyone at that pick worthy of it, the pick would have gone another way.

Heck, if Ted Ginn, Jr. had been available, we would have had him instead of Amobi Okoye.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote