View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013   #251
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It was clear to me that a power shift occurred after 2010. I do not think Kubiak has authority over all the personnel decisions anymore. No, I can't prove it.
Kubiak has final say on the 53 man roster whether you choose to believe it or not. In the 2010 year end press conference, John McClain specifically asked Kubiak if he would give up complete control in order to keep his job. Kubiak responded saying he would NOT that it was in his contract and would not agree to any such changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Regardless of how the power structure works and I agree with Dale.. Kubiak had his hand slapped, reason why he was no longer allowed to bring in "his guys" on defense. A lot of our success can also be attributed to the maturation of our owner as well, but a lot of our success can also be attributed to Rick Smith and your opinion that he's just a "yes man/figure head" is wrong.
Contrary to popular belief, Rick Smith did NOT hire Wade Phillips, Bob McNair did. Smith had nothing to do with Wade. Wade's hiring all started when McNair invited Bum to a practice 3-4 weeks before the season ended. Rick Smith did his part in contributing to the poor defenses, Smith's first draft pick was Amobe Okoye passing on Patrick Willis. Again, contrary to popular belief it is not so much as Rick Smith making the draft picks as some believe. Kubiak allows his coaches most of the leeway in the decision making process on selecting draft picks starting with,

It was Alex Gibbs who picked Duane Brown
It was Frank Bush who picked Brian Cushing...and
It was Wade Phillips who picked JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus

(FYI - Bob McNair gave Wade the 2011 & 2012 1st Rd draft picks as part of the deal to become DC)

I do believe Smith does get credit for Kareem Jackson.

Rick Smith is not a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese, Thomas Dimitroff, Rick Spielman and Trent Balke are GMs. No siree.

Y'all can say that this is conjecture and opinion but that's way it was and is.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote