View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013   #244
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Charley Casserly was a lame duck G.M. during the 2006 draft. I highly doubt he had more influence or power over a first time HC who was looking to build a team in his image. Houston had nothing, but crap draft after crap draft before Kubiak showed up, so I think it's pretty obvious who had the final say so in that room.

I mean we're talking about a man who spent a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings and traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip @#!%ing Buchanon (when Al Davis lost his mind and was making bone headed decisions, he was still able to take ol' Charley behind the woodshed). The only reason why Casserly was even in the room during that draft was because Kubiak was given complete control and was allowed to hand pick his own GM.. after the draft, hence why Rick Smith (from Denver) is here. Kubiak was given complete control.

P.S.

I'm tired of hearing about how Kubiak signed off on Carr and talking about how he could win with him... Like anybody here has never lied on a job interview before. The #1 requirement to becoming the Texans' head coach was the resurrection of David Carr. If Kubiak told McNair that he couldn't win with Carr, I highly doubt he'd be here.
I feel no need to defend Kubiak in this area. I would expect a quarterback guru to believe he could successfully improve a young,talent at the position. Carr's issues came from a lack of commitment, I think. Once stuck working with him, it didn't take Kubiak long to figure out Carr wasn't the guy.

This illustrates why I don't like coaches as gm... Their belief in their system and teaching should cloud their assessment of players. It is the gm that needs to compare and contrast the talent available and determine what players are the best available option for the team, given the resources available.