Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013   #478
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 108854 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You mean avg to below avg for a decade?

Weren't even on the national radar? Where was ESPN before JM?

Before JM what was their highest national ranking? With JM top 10. When was the last time A&M was ranked in the top 10? Slocum yrs, and even then they didn't get the type of exposure the JM is bringing them.

Is he a cocky turd? Probably

Is he the best thing that has happened to A&M football in 50 yrs. Yep. The funny thing is that some at A&M would rather have a medicore football team than have a guy like JM leading their team. Be careful of what they wish for. I mean it's only been half a century since John David Crow called College Station home. (The last time A&M was truly relevant on the college football scene.) Yes I remember the Wrecking Crew yrs. But they were never true NC contenders that teams of the caliber of Alabama respected. Now they are. Why 1 reason Johnny Football.
I summed up basically everything you said in much less - good years, bad years, decent team. Perhaps not nationally exposed, but they were decent.

I'm not arguing that Johnny Manziel didn't put A&M's name on the map, but lets not pretend A&M football was like some division II program no one had ever heard of either. I don't think we'd be in national title contention prior to Manziel, but the switch to the SEC and Manziel's success has brewed the perfect storm in winning A&M some great recruiting ammo. If A&M can capitalize on this success, they'll be good to great for years, without Manziel.

After this year, their fresh young defense will be experienced. The offense is beyond stacked, and Kyle Allen will be on campus eventually. A&M holds the cards, they just have to not screw up in playing them.