View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013   #84
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dustin Keller injury... wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think they expanded the QB rule (the one which led to the fine against the Chargers player for blowing up Schaub). Don't think it would apply here though. It is worded akin to if you are not in pursuit of the play so if you are jogging toward the ball you can still get blown up.

I dont think it applies to the above play but he did mention a Texans Int play in his post. Point being is that you cant just blow another player up just because his head isnt on a swivel. I think this is the addition to the rule

Quote:
Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless
posture.
(a)�� Players in a defenseless posture are:
OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 73
(1)�� A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2)�� A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3)�� A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4)�� A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5)�� A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6)�� A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7)�� A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8)�� A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote