View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013   #174
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I wouldn't say I'm an expert at the cap game; you will have to educate me here as to how the Texans have been in a bind.
When you convert $8 mil of today's salary to a signing bonus you pay the player the money up front, in full and then spread the $8 mil over the future years of contact (max 5 years). If you start each new year with little or no salary cap room (< than $10 mil and part because some the reason is restructured money) and let's say you have 18 free agents to replace and big star salary to renew, < $10 mil doesn't go very far when you've to replace a bunch of FA and renew a big contract. You usually end up with a bunch of scraps for depth. Puts you in a Bind, particularly with any key injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm by no means a cap guy and to my naked eye it looks like you've done some homework. That said, if this is the case how are the Texans going to sign #99? The owner and the GM are on record saying locking up JJ like forever, is the priority.

Is he going to be the only player on the team?
Good Question. If I am JJ's agent I'm asking/wanting a $100 mil+/$20 mil a yr contract. (You also have to sign Cush next yr). So if you pay JJ & Schuab $20 mil a piece (2 players =35% of cap) that will leave you $45 mil to sign 24 D players and $45 mil to sign 24 O players. It's actually much worse than that when you take in to account AJ, Foster, Brown & Joseph's salaries. Can't win that kind of payroll. Better off trying to get 3 first rds + for JJ.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote