View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The backup RB battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
meh....Tate is on my **** list and is staying there until he can show me something.
See, I just couldn't disagree more with this line of thinking. Two years ago, Tate carried the ball 175 times, and averaged 5.4 ypc in the process. I don't see any reason for anyone to be convinced that things have changed, and now he sucks. I know he only carried the ball 65 times last season, and while there have been some injury concerns in the past, he appears to be healthy at this moment, and he's in a contract season. As far as how he's looked this preseason, he's only got four carries and four receptions, so even if you did choose to put limited preseason touches ahead of past actual game performance, it's not like you've got much of a body of work to form any sort of opinion on. And yeah, I know he had the completely blown pass protection issue, but I also think there's a tendency to form (or change) opinions based on one horrible thing, when the bulk of the evidence doesn't support that. I don't recall any major pass protection issues on his part when he played significant minutes in 2011, and when I did a little research to try to see how he fared when playing more while Arian was limited with "Anti-awesomeness", I found this:

Quote:
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

Kubiak: "Ben Tate played very good on pass protection." >That is a plus factor that could give him more field time.
LINK

Again, I'm not going to let one play - no matter how visible and awful it was - form my opinion when there's evidence to the contrary.

Now I'm not one of those guys who says even if Arian misses some time, he's a system back, and we won't miss him (I know there's not many of those guys, but there's a few). Arian's a better back than Ben Tate is, and that helps us win games. However I am one of those guys that says if Arian does end up missing some time, or if he just needs to be spelled now and again, that there's nobody who's on our roster, who's currently available, or who's going to become available who's going to do that as well as Ben Tate will.