View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The backup RB battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Again, still...
Hey, I said I was doing that for run, LOL!

But it really is a subject that quite a few many fans have yet to be debunked of the myth. Too many people think lowly of the cast-offs, low round picks and UDFA players.

Think of Belichik for a moment.
He bombed on high round picks (let say first to fourth round) just as much as other good coaches, but where he made a name for himself is with the lower draft picks and UDFAs and cast-offs.
That's where he's been having paramount success.

But let to back to the RBs.
The Shanahan/Kubiak regime has been notorious for getting production out of no-name RBs.
I actually just looked up the history since Shanahan became HC of the Broncos.
Overall, the guys they drafted in the first three rounds don't compare with the no-name RBs.

So I had to disagree strongly with Arlingtontexan who said that you can't count on journeymen and UDFAs at backup RB.
Heck, the statement I made above include ALL RBs ever ran in this system (not just backups.)

If anything, a case can be made against drafting players high at certain positions where there's a good risk of injury. The return on investment had to include the risk.

It is really an interesting discussion/research/debate if we all agree to be civilized about it.

On a side note, The landscape is always changing.
What worked five years ago stands a good chance to be on the decline today.
Convention wisdom has to adapt to the time.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote