View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013   #550
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23780 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Only if you accept the assumption that the scouting is done properly. Plenty of elite talent has fallen through the cracks. Foster is a perfect example. He's one of the three or four best RBs in the NFL (2nd, in my book), but he wasn't drafted for reasons that were not related to talent.

We'll see how it pans out for Keenum, but the talent evaluation on him was wrong, and continues to be wrong. His arm is just fine, he has more athleticism than many starting QBs, and he definitely has the drive, work ethic, and mental capacity for the position. The only real question was/is experience. He played in a weird system at UH, didn't take snaps under center, and didn't face NFL style defenses. So it's fair to question if he can conquer those challenges. I think he can, but we'll see. But I think any question of his talent is off base. He may not be as talented as guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, but he's more athletic than Schaub. His arm is at least as good as Schaub's. His mobility in the pocket is better than average.

I don't see the knock on talent. Unless you count height as talent, and even then, it's not like he's getting balls batted down or missing reads.
I won't debate the whole point and I always like to use my opinion as a disclaimer. In the case of case,he doesn't have any special qualities.Size,speed,arm,footwork,mobility,etc. In a debate,one could always throw out brady.Brady is the exception more than the rule. Just like brees and wilson are exceptions when the height discussion is involved.If we were just comparing case to schaub,another guy without special qualities,we could say case is a smaller schaub with better feet. A small schaub with better feet will not win a superbowl. So what's the point?

I think case is up against it on this team. I think they're giving him a good look to decide whether or not they want to keep 3qbs or not. With the emergence of guys like jefferson and a guy like posey coming back quicker than expected,case might be back on practice squad. That's not a bad place to be honestly.They can't try to hide some of their emerging young players. I doubt a team would take keenam and put him on the active roster. Jmo.