View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013   #109
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
eriadoc, you sound ignorant.
Pot, kettle, whatever.

Quote:
Reed and Quinn are completely different types of players. We struggles last year against the pass when we played top tier QB's. Ed Reed was brought in because those are the kinds of teams we'll likely have to beat to get to the Superbowl.

If the teams we needed to beat were built like the Vikings with a beat RB that liked to give it to him a lot, then Quinn would probably be a better fit.

They got Reed to help us try to be better against the pass. Not sure how you don't get that.
I do get that. But what you seem to be ignorant of is:

1.) It doesn't matter what kind of player Ed Reed USED TO BE. He's not the center fielder he used to be.

2.) Ed Reed's not going to be the center fielder he used to be with a hip that Bo Jackson doesn't want.

3.) It doesn't matter what kind of player Ed Reed was or is when he's on the sidelines wearing a ball cap.

4.) The rules have evolved over the years to the point that teams like the Pats, Saints, Packers, et al, are going to pass on you and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You're not allowed to separate the ball from the receiver anymore, because he's "defenseless" (guess all those pads don't count). You can't do much of anything to receivers anymore, and you have to let them catch the ball and take a couple steps before you're allowed to hit them. And even then, you have to hit them in a narrowly defined hit zone. So passing offenses are going to continue passing for more and more yards. The defenses are just going to have to bend without breaking until they get to the red zone, where the passing game gets a little tougher and center fielders don't matter quite so much.

If Ed Reed comes in and plays better than he did last year, then it's a great signing. I've basically said that several times. I just don't see it happening, and I don't see the reward being worth the risk, in this particular case.