View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013   #103
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.
I've said many times I don't play the cap management game. There are guys here who have that stuff down pretty well, but I am not one of them. It's an area where I remain blissfully ignorant. That said, I don't see it as a problem. $5M a year is not where they'll run into cap problems, especially for a younger player. And Ed Reed can be off the books next year, but using that thought process, he could have been off the books this year by never signing him. Also worth noting that Manning won't be here forever, either.

If Ed Reed plays the season for the Texans, then they basically ended up paying the same amount of money for roughly equivalent play (we hope). And then Reed can be sent packing. OK, that's fine, especially with DJS waiting in the wings. But the much bigger risk is that Reed doesn't play a full season, doesn't play as well as he did when he was younger, continues his poor form from last season, and or doesn't ever play a single down for the Texans. And what's the reward for taking that risk? Does anyone actually think we're going to see a resurgent HOF-caliber Ed Reed wearing a Texans uni? At best, he's as good as the guy he replaced. So the risk vs. reward is not worthwhile.

And before anyone gets it in their head that I'm some sort of Quin apologist or fan, that's not the case. I think he's a solid player, and I don't see a ton more upside than what he's shown. He'll never be anything close to what Ed Reed WAS. All I'm interested in is whether that position has been upgraded.

I predict that it hasn't been, on the basis of the Quin-Reed exchange. I just hope Swearinger progresses quickly enough to change the equation.