View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013   #70
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster's Week 1 availability in doubt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Have you heard the interview or anything regarding his demeanor yesterday?

My guess would be no based on your comments.

Several media people that have dealt with foster more than anyone here were taken back by his behavior. So while you may think he is known to be "douchey", he was obviously a bit more so yesterday.
I've interviewed Foster since he was a rookie.

He is never an easy interview. Because you can't just ask the same old questions and get the same boring predictable soundbite answers.

In my dealings with him, he's been fair/fine. He's a hard radio interview because he can leave you hanging. In a interview for print, you have to keep asking questions until you find something that he feels good about talking about.

He doesn't like being treated like a injury commodity. Or participating in the mythology of the sport. He doesn't care for people speculating about all sorts of stuff. Or being treated like an object.

I thought the transcript was entertaining. Did he give the detailed and type of answers the media wanted? No. But he's nobody's puppet boy.

He basically said, "Hey, I'm not giving you details of my injuries, I'm fine, I don't care much for preseason, I'm fine for the opener, it's no big thing. Everybody be cool"

And media wasn't listening to any of that. They were all, "Tell us all the details, share all your angst/frustration about missing training camp."

It's not like he's Brian Cushing or DeVier Posey coming off of serious injuries. He didn't miss 2012 games. He missed training camp reps. He was working entire time on side field.

I like him being honest and answering things in non-cliches. I like when players can be themselves and not the robot answering questions.

Media had two issues with the interview:

1. They had to wait 3 hours. Texans PR said that he was going through lifting/treatment, updated media.

2. He didn't give effusive answers. Which he tends not to about injuries. Which is smart.

Near end of the interview, he told someone, that's a "pretty bad question, man."

I've had players/coaches not like my questions and verbalize that, but it is no butthurt big deal. Just how it is when you ask enough questions...the answerer won't like all of them.