View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster's Week 1 availability in doubt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm worried about Arian longterm. I don't know if his heart is still in the game. He was supposedly pretty nasty with the press yesterday and then I heard some snippets and he's sounding like an old retired player. Said he loved the game but it's tiring or something like that.

That's something I'm going to be watching for. Tate might be even more important than we think this year.

Your body being exposed to repeated trauma and injuries, with the need for constant rehab can also eventually wear down and demoralize the best of athletes. As I said before, Arian’s recent back problem is far from simple back spasms. The series of backs injections described are epidural injections, similar to the ones that Cody required for his disc problems last year.

Here are the indications for epidural injections to the back..........pick your poison.:

Spinal stenosis: A narrowing of the spinal canal and nerve root canal can cause back and leg pain, especially when walking.

Spondylolysis: A weakness or fracture between the upper and lower facets of a vertebra. If the vertebra slips forward (spondylolisthesis), it can compress the nerve roots causing pain.

Herniated disc: The gel-like material within the disc can bulge or rupture through a weak area in the surrounding wall (annulus). Irritation, pain, and swelling occur when this material squeezes out and comes in contact with a spinal nerve.

Degenerative disc: A breakdown or aging of the intervertebral disc causing collapse of the disc space, tears in the annulus, and growth of bone spurs.

Sciatica: Pain that courses along the sciatic nerve in the buttocks and down the legs. It is usually caused by compression of the 5th lumbar or 1st sacral spinal nerve.

The first one is unlikely to have first given him problems this late into his career. He would likely not be playing football now.

The second one essentially creates the same situation as a disc problem.

All others are essentially also disc related.

Epidural injections may relieve the pain, but are seldom other than a temporizing measure.

I continue to be concerned in that this back problem is very likely compensatory to his previous calf tear injury (even if the calf no longer bothers him) due to impaired core mechanics. Then an exaggerated change in primary core mechanics seen in all back injuries, creates awkward compensatory postural changes that then in turn increase the risks of incurring lower limb injuries, such as hamstring and calf tears. A vicious circle of falling dominoes can be and many times is generated.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote