View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy's 2014 mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Smith extending MS was one of smartest things he ever has done. If not, who was our QB? The contract is actually very team friendly but I have to remove any prejudice I have against MS before discussing. lol
First we have to consider if not offered would MS gone elsewhere? His signing bonus was reasonable compared to what other QBs were getting. His base for 2012 was $4.4m and $7.25m this year & cap was $10.75 & $14.5.

You could be right about no QB in '14 draft, however, most agree it is better for a rookie to sit 1-2 years under a good starting vet and learn and adjust. Also, '14 should be QB heavy with several going first round. IE, we can get a good one @ #32. If Keenum is as good as I think he will be by 2015, I could see him starting and backed by Yates (if he agrees. He might want to start elsewhere).

As set, this roster should eliminate Texans for having to desperately plug one position as we did this year with WR2. So..if a franchise type player at premium position is there and other "needs" can be addressed lower why not? When have the Texans ever gone "all in" to move up in first? Smith thinks draft picks are valuable and has moved up but not by going all in.

Fales or McCarron if there are very accurate players like Keenum. I will be watching to see if they have a higher ceiling. Let's use MS as he is the best we have & should be 2014. It would be sweet if we could lose his 2015 &'16 contract and bring in a couple good draft selections.

Maybe I'm just expressing frustration with MS. Against the Dolphins he had several passes that had way to much air under them and again looked like he did at the end of last season, no arm strength and having to wind up his whole body to throw 20-30 yds. down field. I just think there's better talent out there to be had (not sure where) but we'll never know while MS is here and until we give someone else a real chance. Just because the Texans have never gone "all in" in the 1st round doesn't mean it won't happen some day. Again frustration with MS, I just don't see us going to the SB with him.

A QB in 2014 to sit for a year behind a good QB is a good idea, but I'm not sure I want MS tutoring a rookie QB. I have to take your word that 2014 is a good QB year, I haven't really looked at the QB's much. You put out some names for me to look at though. Going BPA all the way through the draft would be nice but you might not see glaring needs right now, I can foresee a need possibly at DT/DE-I don't think Crick is the answer to the Ninja, OLB-Montgomery and T. Williams haven't shown me anything that makes he think they'll provide a heavy pass rush now or in the future. Jefferson and Tuggle have shown me more than our draft picks which is sad for our scouting dept. and coaching staff on talent evaluation. Possibly a need at CB with teams playing so much nickle 3 starter level CB's are needed. While I had hopes for Brandon Harris I'm beginning to have doubts there since he can't seem to beat out McCain, and I'd really like CB to become a team strength with depth situation. Roc has looked bad in the first 2 preseason games, and I don't want to hang my hat on Bouye just yet. Also adding a superstar athletic TE would be nice as well if we try to save some money and lose OD at the end of the season. Possibly a glaring need at RT as well depending on what happens this season, we'll see.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote