View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013   #150
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Replay of Dirty Incognito vs Antonio * Suspended all preseason and season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd believe it if they had suspended Incognito as well. Or it they made a habit of fining offensive players for similar events the way they do defensive players.... but they didn't & they don't.

One day in the future, some other hot-headed defensive player who played the same dirty offensive player for the last three years is going to connect with that helmet & the NFL won't have anyone to blame for it but themselves.

When a player like Andre Johnson looses it & puts a beat down on someone in the middle of the game, that should wake you up... there is obviously something "unfair" about what's going on.

Same thing with Antonio, granted he's got a history of letting his emotions get the best of him. But this is a preseason game. Means absolutely nothing. How is someone going to get this mad over a meaningless game? & for them to suspend Antonio & give Incognito a pass.... yeah, you're telling the players to "handle it" on the field.
Smith has nowhere near the reputation that AJ has. Besides, how often have you witnessed the retaliation get flagged/fined/suspended when the instigation went unpenalized? It happens very often in the flagged/fined portion. I'm not sure on the suspended portion, but you get the point. At this point Smith, regardless of justification, is getting punked by Incognito. This has less to do with right or wrong and more to do with perception. You see hands to the face and face masking every week. When's the last time you saw some one rip a helmet off of an opponent and swing it at them?

Again, I'm not placing blame or exonerating anything, just pointing out the obvious public perception. Smith did wrong. He should take his medicine. The NFL did wrong by not punishing Incognito in some form or fashion (2 years in a row) and by not punishing a referee who should've thrown a flag well before the helmet was ripped off. I don't have an answer on how to deal with the NFL's shortcomings in this. Maybe a bunch of nasty tweets or emails?