View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013   #775
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm wondering if this is going to change when Lechler doesn't need the extra yards. Might as well throw it on 3rd and long.
I think we're putting the onus on the wrong guy here. I believe it was Matt that chose the check down, or maybe even changed to a run/draw play on those 3rd & long situations.

I'm hoping it was because he didn't like his receiving options. I've heard Kubiak & Schaub talk about how coverages take away Andre.. I just find that hard to believe. But even if that was the case, I'd rather they snap the ball, give him a chance, then throw it away if it's not there.

But with DeAndre getting into the mix, Graham becoming a much better receiver, & Schaub getting more comfy with LeStar & KeShawn Matt will trust his route combinations & go with the play.

At the same time, everybody throws the ball underneath from time to time in 3rd & long situations. We need to expect our receivers to make a play & get us that first down when needed.

Matt threw a wheel route to Ben Tate the other day on 3rd & long. As Tate approached the line, he did a little dance to try & juke the defender at the sticks.... if I were Chick Harris I'd have had him on the sideline giving him the what for. We don't need him to pick up 30 yards. We need him to drop his shoulder & run through anyone dumb enough to camp on the first down marker.

We picked up the first anyway, but the "situational recognition" Ben showed there, shouldn't be acceptable.