View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMikey View Post
76, that all depends on how his contract was structured if cutting him would free up $3 million, a portion of that, or if an injury cut would turn it all into dead money anyways.

I actually was trying to see if there were any mentions of being "guaranteed for injury" but could never find the info. With him not being a star by any means and not even a for sure starter when he was signed 4 years ago, the Texans could have avoided guarantees of any type on the final year.

Still, it is pretty common for bigger name vets to get at least a partial guarantee placed against injury until there are pre-existing injuries the teams wants to protect against (in the case of Manning's contract with the Broncos). So if Wade Smith has a great agent, he could have gotten something put in. Also not sure what the union does in these cases. Most cuts for injury I've seen in the past without any major payout were of rookies drafted in the 2nd or later rounds.
I reckon you're partially right.
I've been reading up on it.
It's still clear as mud, but it looks like the team and the player just reach an injury settlement, which should be the amount that counts toward the salary cap.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote