View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013   #319
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
so you think case will go back to the practice squad as indicated to your blog?
He is able to. TJ isn't.

Depends on injuries on other parts of the team, who they need to carry on 53 man roster. Some teams go with 2 QBs, some with 3. Rick Smith talked about it the other day, the studies they've done on 2 versus 3 QBs, and injury. Texans carried Beck for a while until that became a luxury they couldn't afford due to injuries to other parts of the roster.

Case is perfect for practice squad. If I'm a GM of some other team, I don't want to active roster some short guy without plus factor athleticism who doesn't know my system and hasn't been in my camp. Even Tebow has higher value in showing read option looks for practice/ playing special teams/ short yardage runs.

He might be worth swiping by an opposing team if you were doing it for the purposes of pumping him for information and then letting him go afterwards. But a team needs to have roster space for that.

His highest benefit to the Texans right now is that he knows the system. But if he got swiped off the psquad, there's any number of slappies the Texans could get to learn up the offense like they did in 2011. Not ideal, but neither is carrying another clipboard holder on the active roster. There's tradeoffs with any decision.

I like Case Keenum's story and like him personally but there's nothing in camp that makes me think he's The Future of the Texans or so much better than any number of randoms who could run this offense.

For him to have the best chance, he is going to have to kill in the 2nd and 4th preseason games. Just crush them. Show something that hasn't been seen in camp. Because despite glowing reports by some, he's not a transcendent QB in practice. Does some nice things, does some bonehead things, is much better than last year.