View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013   #173
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Keenum almost rallied the cougars back from a 20 point deficit to
beat Saban's first bama team as well. (and I believe Keenum was
a freshman/red shirt as well)

Regardless of the talent around him (at whatever level) the guy
just managed to step it up.

I hope it can translate to the NFL, because if it does I think the guy
could eventually help us win a championship..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Exhibit number one.

Keenum vs Oregon week 1, 2007

Oregon rose as high as number 2 in the poll before an ACL shelved Dennis Dixon and the Ducks' season.
Their offense was potent with the dual threat of Dixon and Jonanthan Stewart (remember that guy), besides TE Ed Dickson.
Their D were loaded with players that eventually got drafted and played in the NFL; for example, Ladarius Byrd, Patrick Chung, Walter Thurmond III, Will Tuikafu, T J Ward.

It was Keenum's first career game and he was in a platoon with Blake Joseph.
He was staring at a 0-14 hole when he entered the game, and managed to pull the Cougars back to a 17-17 tie, then a 20-20 tie.
The Cougars almost took the lead when Keenum threw this interception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLG5yzh2kRc

I'm not sure I would call it a bad throw; the pass was just off.
It's also possible that the receiver didn't quite run his route properly.

The Ducks marched the field and never looked back.

The two teams traded TDs afterward, with the Ducks leading by 7 (34-27) before Dixon took the ball and ran for an 80-yd TD for a 14 point margin.

A drop by a receiver stopped the Cougars' next time; and then Joseph came back into the game. The final score was 48-27, Oregon.

Still, while Keenum was in there, the Cougars were neck to neck with the Ducks (27-27) with an inferior team on both sides of the ball.

And it was his first college game, at Oregon, no less.
That's a big stage, my friends!
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote