View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As the Texans are being nonspecific as to damage to "what" cartilage, one of the "better" scenarios (and it's still no bargain), is the cartilage involving the back side of the patella (knee cap).....patellar chondromalacia......where it is essentially crushed many times with damage to the apposing cartilage of the femur surface of the knee joint behind it. The deeper the bone bruise, the greater the probable cartilage damage to both surfaces. The more subsequent movement allowed, the greater damage is created by the two surfaces "grinding."

Adequate rest is again absolutely necessary after such a "clean up." Then intensive rehab. Depending on the extent of damage, I would still be surprised if return should take any less than a couple of months.....and with greater damage greater potentially many more. Unfortunately, that type of surgery does not correct the problem (cartilage is gone).........and the player may very likely still show progression to more severe problems with quickly decreasing levels of performance. Bone on bone and severe arthritis is commonly the final end results, with some players never coming back.
CND,

Do you think it would be prudent for football players to get regular Synvisk (the lubricant made from rooster comb proteins)injections as simple prevention/maintenance? I wonder if any teams are doing that kind of thing now. From what I understand, there is no harm and likely some additional protection for the cartilage. I'd like to know your thoughts.

I'm thinking this should be considered for healthy knees, not just chronic ones...