View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith had knee scoped last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
CnD,

I read the events and reports that they likely went into the knee to clean up torn cartilage and discovery to see what they fear: significant cartilage loss leading to something close to bone on bone, requiring the dreaded microfacture surgery... or constant pain and further deterioration... or retirement.

Correct me where I may be misguided.
With a DEEP bone bruise, cartilage destruction is common, as are other tissue injuries. Virtually by definition, these players are destined to severe arthritis. But if the bones of the knee joint are involved as the bones of "deep bruise," acute damage to the cartilage may require removal of large fragments of cartilage, essentially denuding significant surface areas of apposing bones, in this case distal end of the femur to the proximal end of the tibia.............known as bone on bone. Separated cartilage fragments like these do not heal if attempts are made to "transplant" or "re-graft" them. So they are "cleaned up," i.e., removed. And, as much as has been made of micro-fracture surgery, it seldom solves any problems unless the denuded area is extremely small.........and then only temporarily. If he undergoes micro-fracture surgery for a limited area and it is considered successful, your would still not expect return to play for at least 6 months..........if ever.

I hope this answers your question.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote