View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dirty Little Truth About the Texans Roof Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Why don't we do that for large manufacturing companies that actually bring jobs to the city? We could finance their buildings for them, give tax breaks and whatever else they need to ensure a 30 year lease and prosperity for the area?
They do all the time at state, county and city level. I know my city gave a 10 year tax exemption to get a manufacturer to move in.

Quote:
The point is that taxpayers should not be "partners" in entertainment complexes that only serve to enrich the owners and entertainers.
It seems you are a bit hung up on entertainment. In this context they are all businesses and the question is will it benefit the city. The Texans employ tons of people and lure all sorts of people here for tourism, etc.

Quote:
How much do we still owe on the Astrodome while we contemplate tearing it down...at taxpayers' expense?
Here is where I think we can't judge without knowing what happened. You can't look at how much is still owed alone. How much did the city benefit over the life of the dome? Maybe that made more than enough to pay off the loans but stuck it into budgets as received and spent anything over the minimum payments. These things are all set up to generate a return. If they didn't get one the failure is not on the whole concept but on their inability to accurately forecast their return.

Quote:
Please tell me how the following is a good idea:
Never said it was always a good idea.