View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Raw Brutality, and Brett Favre’s Class... by Sage Rosenfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Oh please. What I wrote is nothing like I think I'm out on the field. You are way over stretching a point (exactly the kind of thing I usually do!) in order to work in the Seinfeld reference (which is awesome, nice job).

I know I am just a consumer - still wearing the same jerseys I got off the discount rack at the end of the 2005 season. But my existence is vapid whether I think I get validation because someone else won a game or not.

I suppose it is entertainment either way. I find it more entertaining when I am rooting for one of the teams to win (or in some cases lose). If I have no interest in the outcome of the game then I will probably not watch it hoping that some incredibly artistic plays break out.

I understand the "too cool to care" Seinfeldian detachment. It is fun to make fun of anyone who cheers something as silly as a play in a football game. It doesn't bother you when the home team loses, but then again you don't have as much fun when they win. But that's OK, because "you're cool". You can say things like "I really enjoyed watching Quin bat the ball right to the Jaguars receiver for the game winning TD. It wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining if he batted it out of bounds or just intercepted it."

We choose to take our enjoyment different ways. Again (for at least the third time) for your way Brett Favre, Brett Sanders, Stagger Lee, and a team blowing a 32 point lead are greatest of all time. For me not so much.
The bolded contains events that are not related.

Why should I give a rat's ass about Brett Favre's or Brett Sanders' (whoever Brett Sanders is ) teams when they were NEVER the teams I rooted for?

That makes absolutely no sense. It is nonsense assumption babble as far as I'm concerned.

You made a statement about me - "who value entertainment over winning thought they were great plays" - because I have no emotional ties to teams not based in Houston?

Do you honestly walk around sulking because Brett Favre threw a lot of picks? Is your well being tied to something as irrelevant as what a football player, who you have no personal connection with, does in his career?

Seriously, man, your broad brush paints you more than it does anyone else.

Worry about yourself and speak for yourself. I would have not replied if you had kept my moniker off your keyboard. You do not know me and certainly have no basis for making such a statement based on some words on an internet forum.

BTW, I'm not making fun of anyone. I can only express my own personal perspectives, which is that I will never live vicariously through an entertainment medium that I have absolutely no influence on the outcome.

Do I get emotionally invested during a Texans game? Of course. But, as soon as it's over, it's over. No different than the joy I experience at a good metal concert or a new episode of Breaking Bad, entertainment mediums that I have a passion for. However, it is always a momentary diversion that I allow myself to escape in, but once it's over, back to reality and none of that nasty emotional aftertaste because I choose to keep it in proper perspective.

If you need / want to live a life where your emotional well-being is directly tied to entertainment, so be it. But please get off your condescending high horse that somehow you are better than someone that chooses to keep it all in proper perspective.