View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy's 2014 mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I do agree that the emphasis in next years draft will be most likely on defense. If Wade Phillips sticks around, which I sure hope he does, then I'd expect either a DT/DE to replace Antonio Smith in the first round or a CB with the end of JJo contract in site and KJ nearing FA as well. Although hard to do, replacing Antonio with a rookie or a high quality rookie CB for the future of the position will be alot cheaper than FA vets. and the team has to start putting itself in position to re-sign Watt and that's going to be a monster contract. I think Wade will want to keep the emphasis on the pass rush so we may go after someone like Anthony Johnson from LSU, there also seems to be alot of good CB's in next years draft.
I see it just a bit differently..Crick should move smoothly into Smith's starter position in 2014. No high round rookie needed and why I look to my board (Hart). I am a big proponent of A. Jackson and compare him to Dont'a Hightower who went first round as I predicted.

Corners I also see differently although I do like to add one annually. KJ is under contract thru 2014 & will cost less than Joseph did per annum, I'm thinking $5 m. Roc needs to turn it up but my interest is on AJ Bouye 6' 186 4.55 (pro day) with a 36 1/2 inch vertical. Great so far. Also want to encourage all to watch Travis Howard 6'1" 200 who is a bubble but could switch to safety. link: "Started every game as a junior and senior and totaled 81 tackles (51 solo), six interceptions and 11 pass breakups over his last two years in Columbus
Finished his Buckeye career with 96 total tackles (66 solos), 15 passes defensed, eight interceptions, 1.5 tackles for loss and one sack
Scored one touchdown in his career on a 30-yard interception return and also blocked a punt which was recovered for a touchdown." http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...-b981e745d51f/

Addressing your concern on Watt; Antonio's Smith's cap hit $9.5m + JJ's 2014 $3.6m = $13.1 m for Watt in 2015. He should be easy to extend.

Cushing if he returns healthy: $4.6m cap this season + Wade Smith's $3.75m = $8.35m and he needs to have an excellent season to get that.

Also remember in my scenario, Schaub going after 2014 saves $3.5m which could go towards re-signing Keenum.