View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013   #200
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I follow your logic but I'm not sure its the lead pipe cinch you're thinking it is.
I'll say this: Yates will be the #2 when the season begins
...but he won't have the long leash he had last year when Keenum was learning what the NFL was all about and inserting Keenum was a pretty big risk. If Yates has to go in for Schaub and stinks it up - or even fails to move the team after 2-3 series - I think Kubiak will feel better about pulling Yates and inserting Keenum to (a) possibly/hopefully give the team a spark and/or (b) let Yates know his backup spot isn't totally secure.

Keenum's play has definitely made things more interesting.
That's exactly the way I see it. Well, I think he'll have a longer leash. But Yates will be pulled if Kubiak thinks he's not getting the job done. Keenum will earn the #2 spot on the field, same as Yates did (otherwise we'd have brought in a #2 last offseason).

Even if Yates does not stink it up, if we manage to get a good lead, instead of going into turtle mode, he'll put Keenum in to help him get ready in case we need him for the post season.