View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013   #30
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 21101 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Raw Brutality, and Brett Favre’s Class... by Sage Rosenfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I guess you'll take Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino then?

Championships are important, but using it as the bottom line on how you rate individual players in a team game is maybe one of the more ridiculous things I've heard today.

And this morning I heard a guy trying to sell shoe laces.
You are better than this, Rey. Read a post before you respond to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Favre is a better QB than Trent Dilfer.
And I thought it went without saying but obviously Marino is a better QB than Favre (thus better than Dilfer). If Favre had been on Marino's Dolphins teams - still zero championships. If Marino had been on Favre's Packers teams - probably 3 or 4 championships instead of one.

I don't rate Montana ahead of Favre or Smith ahead of Sanders because they won more Super Bowls. As those who read my posts know I rate them ahead because:
Quote:
I'm more impressed by someone who makes the plays to win and avoids the plays to lose
and
Quote:
when it comes to winning championships I'll take the guy who converts 98% of 3rd and 2 to a first down over the guy who converts 60% but pops 5% for a 40 yard gain.
There are great players who never won even one team championship. And there are some not so great players who have won multiple team championships (here's to you Robert Horry and Chuck Nevitt!) However in general I do not think it is merely a coincidence that players who can make the plays to win and avoid the plays to lose (such as Montana, Starr, Herber, Smith) tend to win more championships than those who either can't make the plays to win (Dilfer, Carr) or who can't avoid the plays to lose (Favre, Sanders).