View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013   #22
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Raw Brutality, and Brett Favre’s Class... by Sage Rosenfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I explicitly said that was not the main thing I remember.

He hung around a lot of years and is #1 in lots of career categories. Most TD passes. Most Completions. Most Yards Passing. Most Interceptions Thrown. Most Fumbles. Most inappropriate sexts.

The teams he played on won a lot of games. Quite a few games won because of him. But also a LOT of games lost because of him. A lot of QBs have made the plays to win more games that their teams would have lost otherwise than Favre has. But none have made as many plays to lose games that their teams would have won otherwise.

Favre is a better QB than Trent Dilfer. If Dilfer had been the Packers QB the year Favre's team won the Super Bowl they would not have won the Super Bowl because Dilfer could not have led them to the wins. But if Favre's had been the Raven's QB the year Dilfer won the Super Bowl, it's a 80% chance they would not have won because Favre probably would have blown one of the playoff games trying to show off. Like he did most years.

Saying Favre is top 5 is showing the same lack of respect for the game that Favre displayed. That is being awed by the career statistics. I'm more impressed by someone who makes the plays to win and avoids the plays to lose, such as Joe Montana. Even on the Packers, I'll take Bart Starr and his 5 NFL Championships (and his per game averages of 9 completions on 16 attempts for 126 yards) over Favre.

I will put Favre on the top 5 list... of Packers QBs (although some people may feel I am slighting Cecil Isbell and Irv Comp).

1. Bart Starr 5 NFL Championships
2. Arnie Herber 4 NFL Championships
3. Red Dunn 3 NFL Championships
4. Aaron Rodgers 1 NFL Championship (with probably more to come)
5. Brett Favre 1 NFL Championship

It is not just that he is the all time leader in interceptions thrown - that comes long with the other career records due to the longevity. It is that he threw so many idiotic throws that never had a chance and cost his team the game just because he couldn't rein his ego in.

The idiotic interception is not everything about his career, but the other things have been done by other people. Dan Marino had huge career stats. Peyton Manning will have huge career stats. Bradshaw and Montana won more Super Bowls. But the awesomely stupid interception - that really is a Favre thing. It is what truly makes his career unique.

His first regular season pass ever was intercepted and returned for a TD. His last pass as a Packer was an interception to lose the NFC Championship game. And the last play of his career (the second most memorable play of his career) fittingly summed up and typified his entire career: an idiotic interception to lose the NFC Championship game when they were already in field goal range. Goodnight Brett!
I agree with this 100%. Favre was a decent QB who played for a team that gave him an UNBELIEVABLE amount of LEE-WAY. After all, he got traded TO the Packers from Atlanta. There were plenty of QB's with more talent, and played with more precision because THEY KNEW THEY HAD TO.

Favre was AI-IGHT, nothin' more. I'm glad he retired, because I got tired of his wishy-washyness about playing was killing my NFL Network-watchin' during the offseason.