View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Those same DB's were respectable the year before. They were a part of the team having it's first winning season and everyone was excited about What Pollard brought to the secondary.
You didn't see a drop off in Eugene Wilson's play between 2009 & 2010? Or maybe there wasn't a drop off, but he was much more effective when the DL was getting the pressure it did in 2009 than it did in 2010.

& we used Pollard totally different in 2009 than we did in 2010. I'm surprised you didn't notice that either.

Baltimore has used Reed the way we did in 2009. When he is used in coverage his effectiveness comes way down.

Quote:
This was my main problem with the Kareem arguments. Even Kareem's current coach came in and said he needed a lot of work. VJ said himself that Kareem was good in the first 10-15 yards but was not very good after that (and that was after some had been saying that for well over a year already).
& I've said no different. Every rookie coming into the NFL will need a lot of work. It is one of the more difficult positions to learn.

Quote:
Now I do blame the coaches for putting him out there as a rookie and not teaching him proper technique. I blame the coaches in general for the lack of talent in that front seven not generating much of a pass rush to help the DB's out.
It's no different than Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, & RG3. Their coaches designed their offenses around what they were good at & hid their weaknesses. In 2013, there's going to be less of that & they are going to have to improve.

The Patriots found what McCourty was good at & designed his role around what he could do & hid what he couldn't do. Year two they asked him to evolve, to get better as a Cornerback & he couldn't.

Kareem was put in a bad situation, the coaches expected him to do things most NFL corners can't, play man coverage on an island for the majority of his snaps. He got a new set of coaches who took him back to square 1. Found what he was good at & asked him to do that. They also put a good cast around him, better safeties in Glover Quin & Manning. They improved the CB playing the other side of the field & they "fixed" the pass rush.

Year three, they expected more of him & he delivered.

Quote:
But Kareem was not good his first year, he was a bit better the next year but still not full time starting caliber...He was awesome last season. Same surrounding DB's as the year before, better Kareem because HE improved.
Maybe you're getting me mixed up with someone else. I never said anything about him not getting better. I never said he was an All-pro as a rookie.

I've always said he played about as well as you can expect a rookie to play. Had he been on another team.... the 2009 Texans or the 2010 Patriots, he would not have got the bad rep he did as a rookie on the 2010 historically bad Texans defense.

Some people said he'll never get better. I said he's got the tools & he's mentally tough. If he doesn't lose his confidence, I think he'll be a #1 CB in this league. I said that in 2010 (more or less).