View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Those same DB's were respectable the year before. They were a part of the team having it's first winning season and everyone was excited about What Pollard brought to the secondary.

This was my main problem with the Kareem arguments. Even Kareem's current coach came in and said he needed a lot of work. VJ said himself that Kareem was good in the first 10-15 yards but was not very good after that (and that was after some had been saying that for well over a year already).

I disagree with all the film study stuff 76 did, and I still do. I'm not saying those other DB's were perfect, but there is absolutely 0 way you can look at film of the DB's as a fan and definitively decipher which player should have done what. So I don't buy that all the DB's on the team were failing Kareem, when we had raggedy Dunta out there the year before and the DB's weren't that bad.

Now I do blame the coaches for putting him out there as a rookie and not teaching him proper technique. I blame the coaches in general for the lack of talent in that front seven not generating much of a pass rush to help the DB's out.

But Kareem was not good his first year, he was a bit better the next year but still not full time starting caliber...He was awesome last season. Same surrounding DB's as the year before, better Kareem because HE improved.
Who said anything about Jackson being good in his first year, or even his second year? My whole point was that he didn't suck ball, just like when I opined that Myers didn't suck ball.

They both had their bad plays.
They both suffered further by the poor plays around them.

We all know what Pollard can bring, and that was laying wood.
It wasn't new that he was lacking in coverage at the time he arrived in Houston.
That was already discussed at the time.

If you remember, I had brought up plays from time to time with the new secondary. There had been some poor plays as well; like when one of the safeties stepped down and left the post wide open, allowing big TDs that Joseph can't prevent. Those are the same plays that Jackson were maligned for several times.
There was the INT that Jackson made to "save" Joseph, coming from all the way from the other side; that was another play that Jackson was picked on.

There were also good plays when the safeties, either Manning or Quin played it correctly and supported their CBs on time.
There were also plays that Joseph helped Jackson and vice versa.
Joseph came over and knocked the slot out of a few receivers, and Jackson did the same for Joseph.
Or the play when the Texans baited the offense with Jackson leaving the slot receiver and cut underneath the outside receiver to make the INT.
When people said that Aso can cover half of the field himself, it was an exaggeration; he did it with the help from another defender from time to time.
It is still a team game. It doesn't mean that the safety(ies) roll away from Aso on every play. That only happened when he plays for an outside release and use the side line as an extra defender. The same thing applies to either Joseph and Jackson.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote