View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013   #46
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LOL, you think about it. The guy has a skill set that allowed him to be successful right out of the gate. He doesn't have other skill sets. Good coaches put players in positions to succeed.

You think Ronde Barber can play man? You think Nnamdi Asomugha can play zone?

My entire point was pro ready means step in on day one and contribute. McCourty did that. KJ contributed to the opponents.

And as I said earlier, none of this matters.
Have to agree. It matters little to nothing. Trying to compare or tear down McCourty isn't needed to justify Kareem's selection. Both players are now essential to their team secondaries as simple as that. McCourty started off that way because he was utilized correctly for his skillset.

And not being able to handle one style over another doesn't make you pro-ready. Being pro-ready means able to step in and contribute immediately where you aren't overwhelmed by the mechanics of the level of competition, game speed and you fit an nfl pro system. Doesn't mean you must fit into every system.

A lot of corners have a strength in one coverage over another. I know I did and I played the position for years. Some excel in press but if you ask them to play off the receiver they show issues maintaining. Some can play man and are weak in zone, while some player cover 2 better than say cover 3. It is on the coaches to put the player in a position to excel or develop the player to fit their own scheme. Obviously Bush could not do that and Wade is doing it.

So just because McCourty struggled in press didn't make him less pro-ready. He had already displayed he was capable of dealing with speed of the game and the mechanics involved. He just has his strength and weaknesses like several players in the league.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote