View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
These were always my thoughts on Kareem. He was always good with short routes and could tackle pretty well. He just needed some experience in the NFL against deep routes. I was telling people to just wait for him to develop.
I agree with this, more so than to say he was awful. There were some things he did well, some things he didn't. Same with McCourty & Glover Quin. The Patriots coaches did a better job of asking McCourty to do what he was good at, as well as the players around him did a better job around him.

In 2009, our coaches did a better job of asking Glover to do the things he was good at & didn't ask him to do things he was not good at. You rarely saw Glover singled up on anyone more than 20 yards out.

It's possible that our coaches saw McCourty & Glover as safeties, so when they said most pro-ready corner available, even with hindsight, I believe they were more right than not. McCourty is not a CB in this league. He wasn't his rookie year & he isn't now.

There's no doubt in my mind Kareem would have had a much better rookie season if we were able to generate the pressure we did in 2009 or 2011, or if he had someone like Manning or Glover to back him up, or if Eugene Wilson had another good year in him, or if we had Dunta to play the #1 Receiver where we could cheat to Kareem's side.

But even as a rookie, 6 to 7 times out of 10, receivers could not get off the line with Kareem in front of him. But we "focused" on the 30% of the times that the receiver got a free release, whether they beat him or he fell down. & once they got past him, he wasn't catching them & he had no "last line of defense" so those plays would turn into big plays.

& I can't count how many times I saw two receivers lined up on the same side of the field & you knew they were going to run crossing routes. Our DBs would "always" maintain the same depth & when the receivers would cross, the DBs would run into each other.

That could've been Kareem screwing up, being the new guy. But if the other DB, who had more experience, didn't adjust his depth, or tell Kareem to adjust his depth... or if the coaches didn't catch it & address it during the week, tell them to adjust from straight man to the inside man defending the inside route & the outside man defending the outside route... because it happened again & again & again I don't think they fixed it until very late that season, or early the following season... but yeah, I'm sure some of the blame should have been on Kareem for stuff like that, but he had a whole support sysem, that imo failed him.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 08-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote