View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013   #191
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A little more support:

4-26-2013
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h

Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Personally, I thought it was Zierlein who didn't have all the info there.

According to what was out and around at the time, LZ seemed to be basing his assessment on 2 things.

1 -- A picture of a note the LSU S&C coach had put in his window chastising some players who had skipped a workout. ONE workout.

2 -- An interview where Montgomery said that when he was at LSU, he didn't respect the weaker teams and didn't prepare as hard to play them. He also said in that interview that you can't do that in the NFL.

When you look at the tape of Montgomery, he wasn't a guy who slacked off on the field. He did appear to have a slow get-off but that was because of what he was being asked to do in most cases. When he wasn't reading the tackle and could key on the ball, he was fine.

LZ and some other people blew those two things (along with the lack of get-off) into a big thing about him not being a hardworker and not being motivated. But that's not how I read those things at all.

He's got to get on the field, though. His being out of shape coming into the OTAs and Camp is kinda damning, though. JJ, Cush, and the Ninja should get him turned around.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote