View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013   #150
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
CT, I read it as the Saints worked out a deal with Chase Daniel before he actually cleared waiver.

It is quite possible that his agent already informed other team that he preferred the Saints, so they didn't bother to create an unwanted situation.
As I understand it, the Redskins also wanted to resign him to the PS.
But after Daniel chose to go with the Saints, he basically severed the tie to them.
This is a risk that a team takes.

For example, the Texans cut KW.
He went on to sign with another team for the vet minimum.

What I'm saying is that there is a risk, no matter how slight it is, when you cut a guy.
And all I said was he cleared waivers and signed on the Saints PS. Both those things are true, so I'm not sure what you're challenging about that.

Yeah, of course there's a risk, but managing that risk is what it's all about. If the Texans decide they want to go the PS route with Case again this year, it's up to them to judge whether he'll make it through waivers, and if they decide he likely will, it's up to them to decide if there's a realistic risk of Case choosing another team's PS. It's also up to them to determine the likelihood they're wrong, and if they're willing to live with that level of risk.

The same argument was on these boards last off-season (In May no less), with several folks (I honestly don't know if you were one of them) swearing that Case would never clear waivers if the Texans attempted to put him on the PS. And others (me very definitely included) saying it was ridiculous to think that another NFL team was going to use a 53 man roster spot on a player under the circumstances that would be present. Now we don't know what the Texans are going to do with Case this season, but what happened with him last season is a matter of record.