View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013   #139
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Now, more on undrafted QBs.

As far as not being concern about another team claiming a young QB off waiver; it sure sounds logical, but there's always a risk.
Matt Moore was an UDFA in 07 when the Cowboys waived him on Sep 1.
The Panthers scooped him up the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another name that I recall is Chase Daniel who also went undrafted.
He was cut by the Redskins on the final day of cut and was picked up by the Saints the next day.
A year later, he battled with Patrick Ramsey and won the backup job.
First, it depends on the preseason. When Moore was picked up, he was coming off of a preseason where he had a 72% completion rate, and a 100.1 QB rating. I think virtually everybody expects it to improve, but consider that in his rookie season, Case's preseason showed a completion percentage of 50%, and a rating of 68.8. If Chase has a QB rating of over 100 this preseason, I think there's an excellent chance he'll be on the Texans 53 man roster.

As to Mr. Daniel, your memory is a bit off. Yeah, he did end up with the Saints the next day, but he ended up there because nobody claimed him off of waivers, and for whatever reason he chose to be on the Saints practice squad rather than the Redskins. He actually did get promoted to the 53 man roster in late Sept. of his rookie year, but he also ended up getting waived 3 times that season (twice from the active roster, and once from the PS). It was actually January of 2010 before he was promoted to the 53 man roster and stayed there.

Look - I don't think think there are many folks (even within the context of this thread) saying Case has zero chance to become a legitimate NFL QB, but just like there are a few folks who (IMO) are unrealistically adamant in their stance that he's destined to be a starter in the NFL, there's some who (for whatever reason) choose to write off his chances prematurely.