View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013   #245
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.
You pretty much answer your own question.

Remember I said that before the miss-tackles, Mays also took bad angles or got driven off by blockers quite a few times over the course of the year (both in 2011 and 2012) leaving a huge hole for the RB to shoot through and that he was also a liability in the passing game, allowing 2 TDs directly - and he didn't have that many snaps in coverage to begin with.

He made very few plays by beating a blocker; the majority of his tackles were unblocked - and as Wade had said, when you're unblocked, you really haven't done anything unless you were too quick for the blocker (in which case, I don't consider the defender to be unblocked so that doesn't apply.)

The hit on Schaub, for example, was unblocked; not only that, Schaub was also pressured by another defender. Mays didn't really make a play - according to Wade's standard. I mean how hard is it for a LB to get to a QB in such an instance.

Even if you count the tackles when he was unblocked, many of them could go for 4-6 yards; that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Even if you count all of his tackles as "plays", the bad plays were enough to negate all of them.

So I do think that Sharpton has been a better player than Mays when he's on the field.

Obviously, you don't want to count on a guy who can't stay on the field, but that doesn't mean that he's not a better player than Mays.

I would take Dobbins over Mays to be on the safe side.
Until Mays cut down on his mistakes, that's the way I see it.
You just can't afford to have a liability on the field.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote