View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I read the FO article with a keen interest. I see where FO says the Texans play the 3rd easiest schedule in 2013. I am assuming that is based on the 2012 won-loss percentages. It doesn't appear that FO takes into account one of the great equalizers, the salary cap. Texans 2013 opponents on average have approximately $18 million more to spend in Salary Cap dollars vs the Texans. While the Texans may have the 3rd weakest schedule on paper don't expect it to play like the 3rd easiest schedule on Sundays. An $18 million salary cap advantage is equivalent to adding (6) $3 million a year players.
If they don't spend it, isn't that like saying we have (6) $3 Million dollars a year players against their thin air? That the advantage is actually ours?

I like S.O.S. some people don't. I look at SOS & predict how I think the Texans should do against it. At the end of the season, we'll see how much those teams changed relative to the Texans.

For instance, in 2011, we had a winning record against a winning SoS, meaning we improved more than the teams on our schedule did. Last year, we finished strong against a losing schedule, again, we improved more than the teams on our schedule did.

If 2013's schedule is similar to last seasons, .473 (& It is) we should expect to win 10-12 games again if we've improved as much as the teams on our schedule did. If we win 8-10 games, then we're falling behind. If we win 12+ games, then we've gained improved more than the teams on our schedule did.