View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013   #397
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Is it the Texas heat claiming all these guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
worked in the field in the hot sun/cold winters 17 hours a day for 345 days a year, and it will sure do it to you. We've already had 8 heat strokes this year, thank god i'm in the office now.
Certainly heat could be ONE factor. However..............the truth is that heat cramps have previously been known as miners cramps and fireman's cramps, and they have historically been thought to be a result of dehydration and losses in sodium through sweating.

Cramps are strong involuntary muscular contractions which are usually short-lived and release on their own. They can be quite painful and occur most frequently in the Gastrocnemius (calf) and hamstrings. Actually heat and gently stretching the muscle can help to relax a cramp.

Cramps can occur at rest or during activity in any environment. Therefore the old hypothesis that cramps are due to dehydration and a lack of sodium and other electrolytes lacks scientific back-up. Current research has shown no link between high temperature and the development of cramps. The current thought on the cause of cramps is alterations in spinal neural reflex activity which is caused by FATIQUE and is more common and more intense in some than others.

The term heat cramps is rapidly falling out of favor due to the lack of scientific evidence to support it. Conditioning deficiencies as a cause has essentially taken its place.

From another thread where Lucky brought up the subject of so many players going down so early.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Koppen got the job in 2012 when JD Walton went down for the year with a broken ankle. Walton had surgery on the ankle again in June, so the Broncos are razor thin at center.

It's spooky seeing this many season ending injuries in the first few days of camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With first contact practices being ~7-8 months following their last for most players, makes me believe that players may be taking their conditioning for their more pussified non-contact mini-camps and OTAs less seriously .....and may be held by coaches and trainers to lesser standards to come down to the lower requirements than necessary for the old full-padded contact off season activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I guess. But I don't remember seeing so many training camp injuries back in the 70's & 80's, before the mini camp/OTA era. I think it's just as possible that these guys are over trained in the gym, with the joints just not being able to handle the forces created by the extra mass they are carrying. And they are getting bigger every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is just another reason to get used to a more resistant target contact training. I had the opportunity to take care and befriend a number of Houston Oilers. I remember them talking about the fact that they HAD to stay in shape year around just to stay up with TC. They knew what to expect. TCs in those days were described as the worst weeks of their lives...........sometimes ALL day and there were NO DAYS OFF. Keep in mind that there were essentially no climate controlled fields except the Astrodome. (The Oilers had the Astrodome, but they were never allowed to practice in them for TC.) Specifically many teams were made to practice in the mid day sun/heat.......no shade allowed. Outdoor practices were never called off for rain or snow. And what they emphasized was that there were no multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts. If you weren't prepared for TC............you didn't have a job!.........and that included ALL of what would today be considered the "prima donna" vets.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-02-2013 at 09:32 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote