View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Lets make fun of the cowboys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I will admit that my "angst" towards the Cowboys has faded in recent years.

I grew up hating them because when I was a kid in Houston so many other kids were Cowboys fans and were always running down the Oilers and being so arrogant about the Cowboys. One in particular would never let it go even after the Oilers beat them on that Thanksgiving game in 1979. The Cowboys of course "were cheated" that day. I heard every excuse in the book and zero credit going to Earl and the Oilers.
I don't live in Houston, I'm 90 miles East in the Golden Triangle. We don't have our own professional sports teams, so we've always latched onto the closest ones. Growing up there were Oiler fans, Cowboy fans, Saints fans (we're 30 minutes from Louisiana) Rockets fans, Spurs fans (never saw any Maverick fans until recently).

I had a really cool Oilers Letterman style jacket I wore from 3rd grade to like the 5th ('78 through '81) I loved that jacket. That was way before "Starters" & Reebok & Nike getting huge. It was the only one I had ever seen, that had the derrick on the back without the helmet. I got so much attention because it was so unique.

Mind you, I wasn't a football fan at the time. I knew there were games on Sundays, I knew Houston was winning a bunch of games at the time. I remember the Luv ya Blue campaign, everyone was saying it. I remember Earl Campbell was everyone's favorite player... but that was probably it. I didn't even know what the Super Bowl was back then.

But I loved that jacket.