View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013   #112
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It wasn't disclosed on any of Baltimore's injury reports. He said he played through it including the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure we didn't MRI every inch of his body before we signed the deal.

& If I remember correctly it was reported that the Texans staff advised him to have the surgery (I'll try to find a link) but I don't think it was a case where he came in one day & said..... "I's got your money, now I'm having this surgery, I'll let you know when I'll be able to play."
With his history of major hip reconstruction in the past, and some of his performance decline in the past year, any team would have carefully examined that hip very carefully......and they Texans did, with an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). They evidently saw nothing. When he revealed his "deficit" in the other hip, the Texans went ahead and performed an MRA (magnetic resonance arthrogram) which would be the only test that would uncover smaller labrum tears....and it did. The MRI would have missed the same type of injury, had it been present in the reconstructed hip, and as such would have been considered an inadequate evaluation of that hip (Keep in mind, you would definitely want to know the condition of this hip, in that a high percentage of similar reconstruction will progress for the need for hip replacement within 5 years [Reed had the reconstruction the beginning of 2010]).

Furthermore, you would have wanted to know the condition of the other hip as well, as significant contralateral hip wear is far from uncommon. Finally, when you perform an MRI, through computerization software, it takes sagittal cuts/views (like a magician cutting a lady in half end on view[bottom illustration in Example #2]) and longitudinal cuts/views (like a sandwich is sliced with you being able to see the bottom surface of the top piece and the top surface of the bottom piece [top view of Example #2] ) of the full girth of the level you are examining. It's not like an x-ray where you can take a locally focused image such as one hand, one shoulder or one hip [example #1 below].

Example #1

Example #2

So putting Reed through an MRI for concern over either hip, would have automatically visualized the contralateral hip. In his case, the appropriate completion of a thorough evaluation INITIALLY would have entailed a simple injection of dye into the hip joints during the MRI.......which they eventually did.......but not until after they committed to his contract. Whether anyone would say that the Texans probably would have taken him anyway, no smart team is going to make that decision beforehand without that significant base knowledge of a player's condition.....especially knowing his age, his general wear, his vicious play style, and his extensive injury history.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote