View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013   #351
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It really doesn't make sense for our starters to be running plays out of the pistol formation unless we were thinking about adding it in.

For several reasons...We're in the heat of Training Camp...I can't see Kubiak taking time out from valuable practice time to have his starters running some stuff that has nothing to do with what we are going to do.

Just lining up in the pistol so the defense can get alignment stuff down can be done with dummies or back up defensive players.

Our first game is against the Chargers...Normally, you work on things to prepare for that first game, and when you play those teams with pistol formations you'll use the scout team to work on that stuff during the "week of"...

And if you really were trying to do something for the defense to give them a good look, why not use a QB that more closely resembles what those teams have?

I don't know if we'll see the pistol formation, but I think Kubiak is thinking about it. It is something that makes sense with this offense. Really it can make sense with any offense because it's just a formation, but with us wanting our plays to look the same and wanting to run multiple sets with various personnel, it can be used as something to keep the defense off guard. Pistol formation doesn't automatically = read option (I know that you didn't say that, I'm just making that statement).

Plus like you and LZ said, it would still allow for us to do our play actions, but it'd give the QB more time to get his head up down field because he wouldn't be coming from under center.

I hope we do see the pistol formation from these guys sometimes.
More has come out from LZ today making it sound like the Texans are experimenting with the pistol formation for the offense (ie running it with Schaub and the 1's). I do know that Weeden and Landry both ran a TON of pistol formation at their respective NCAA schools and were fairly successful with it and neither of those guys are considered "running" or even "athletic" QB's, so I don't have much in the way of doubts with Schaub running it.

I think the problem is that Arian isn't currently practicing right now, so if we are planning on using it for offense, I cannot imagine them doing it very early in the season if Arian isn't used to working out of that particular formation.

note: I went on Tuesday and I didn't see many (or any if I can recall right) pistol formations, so I really can't comment on if it looks like something viable for the Texans offense.