View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You don't have to always be looking for a big play to be more effective. You can be highly efficient and effective with what ever play style you have.

I don't care how we play really....I just want it to be as effective as possible.

But When it's not effective in certain areas, then I think we as fans are going to question the methods.
This. I don't think many fans actually care about how conservative the team is, per se. It's just a convenient label to describe ineffectiveness at times. Some of my favorite times as a fan have been the few times that the team has driven 90+ yards in 12 minutes and punched it in for a TD. That is awesome football. I want to see the team grind it out, ram it down the other team's throat, and score. Conversely, some of the most uneasy times as a fan have been the numerous times that the Texans land on 16 points. 1 TD, 3 freakin' FGs, and it keeps the other team {TeddyKGB} hanging around {/TeddyKGB}.

When the team gets a lead, it's time to be conservative, for the most part. There might be a moment or two in the game when they need to take a calculated risk, like when they really need to convert a 3rd down to close it out. But when they fall behind, that conservative crap doesn't work. I want a team that is capable of controlling the tempo for starters, but also regaining control of the tempo as needed. The 2012 Texans had problems in that area.

The article says that Kubiak was correct to go conservative because his team performed poorly in other situations. I have said before that Kubiak can't trust his personnel in certain situations, starting with the QB. So he leans to the safer side of things.