View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?
For years and years, many of us on this board have bitched and moaned about how bad our safeties are and how the FO never drafted a safety even though our safeties kept getting pantsed. THEN we convert Quin to Safety and bring over Manning and our defense gets better.

I think Smith just wanted to solidify that back-end for the foreseeable future.

Combine that with the following facts:
1. The coaches thought that Mitchell would be exactly what we needed at NT.
2. The coaches already had their eyes on some tackles that they were sure they could get later that could fill that RT role IF Newton wasn't ready... and I'm not convinced that the coaches haven't expected Newton to be ready in time for Game 1.

I think they expected to get EITHER Williams or Quessenberry. They wanted Williams more. And then Quessenberry dropped to a point where they couldn't ignore the value and they picked him up, too. If Williams had been drafted (which I think they expected), they would have taken Quessenberry with that pick.

3. I think the ILBs they had their eyes on were already gone.

So I think they would have gone ILB if the right guy had fallen, but the right guy didn't fall so they went to their backup option which was Safety.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote